Review us on

8 Reasons Why You Should Never Try to Fix Electrical Problems Yourself!


If you’re like most homeowners, you’re always looking for ways to save money. So when you experience an electrical problem, it’s natural to want to try and fix it yourself. But before you do, you should know that there are several good reasons why you should never try to fix electrical problems yourself. In this blog post, we’ll explore eight of the most important reasons why. Keep reading to learn more!

1. Electricity is extremely dangerous

Even if you think you know what you’re doing, electricity can be very dangerous. It only takes a split second for an electrical shock to cause serious injury or even death. So unless you’re a trained professional, it’s always best to leave electrical repairs to the experts.

2. You could make the problem worse

If you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s easy to make an electrical problem worse. This not only wastes time and money, but it could also put your family at risk. Remember, when it comes to electrical repairs, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and call in a professional.

3. It’s against the law in some states

In some states, it’s actually against the law for homeowners to perform their electrical repairs. So before you try to fix that broken outlet or replace a faulty switch, be sure to check your state’s laws. Otherwise, you could end up facing some hefty fines.

4. Your home insurance may not cover DIY repairs

If you try to do your electrical repairs and something goes wrong, your home insurance may not cover the resulting damage. This is because most home insurance policies exclude damage caused by homeowner negligence. So if you want to be safe, stick to professional electrical repairs.

5. It could void your warranty

If you have a home warranty, chances are it specifically excludes coverage for DIY repairs. So if you try to fix an electrical problem yourself and something goes wrong, you could be on the hook for all the resulting damage. Save yourself the hassle and expense, and stick to professional repairs.

6. You could cause a fire

One of the most dangerous things about electrical problems is that they can often lead to fires. Faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of house fires in St. John’s, NL. So, if you don’t want to risk your home going up in flames, it’s always best to call in a professional electrician.

7. It’s not as easy as it looks on TV

If you’ve ever watched someone perform electrical repairs on TV, you might think it looks easy. But the truth is, electrical repairs are often much more complicated than they appear on the screen. So, unless you’re a trained professional, it’s best to leave them to the experts.

8. It’s not worth the risk

When it comes down to it, trying to fix electrical problems yourself is simply not worth the risk. Not only could you end up seriously injured or even killed, but you could also cause extensive damage to your home. So instead of taking a chance, play it safe and call in a professional electrician.

If you’ve been experiencing electrical problems in your home, don’t try to fix them yourself. Call the best 24/ 7 hours emergency electrician in St. John’s, NL today.

Common Electrical Problems in the Home

While some electrical problems are more serious than others, all should be addressed by a professional as soon as possible. Some of the most common electrical problems that homeowners face include:

1. Blown fuses: If your home has fuse-based wiring, blown fuses are a relatively common problem. Fuses blow when too much current is flowing through them, which can be caused by several factors, including faulty wiring or overloaded circuits.

2. Tripped circuit breakers: Circuit breakers trip when they detect an overload on the circuit. This can be caused by anything from a hair dryer to a space heater.

3. Outlets that don’t work: If an outlet stops working, it could be due to several factors, including a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker. It could also be a sign of faulty wiring.

4. Flickering lights: Flickering lights are usually caused by loose light bulbs or fixtures. However, they can also be a sign of more serious problems, such as loose wiring or faulty electrical connections.

5. Sparking outlets: Sparks coming from an outlet is a serious problem that should be addressed by a professional immediately. It could be a sign of faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit.

6. Dead outlets: An outlet that doesn’t work could be due to factors, including a blown fuse, tripped circuit breaker, or faulty wiring.

7. Hot outlets: Outlets that feel hot to the touch are another serious problem that should be addressed by a professional. It could be a sign of an overloaded circuit or faulty wiring.

8. Frequent power outages: If your home experiences frequent power outages, it could be due to factors, including faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, or a problem with the electrical grid.

If you’re experiencing any of these problems, it’s important to contact a professional electrician as soon as possible. Attempting to fix the problem yourself could be dangerous and may make the problem worse.

Need help with your electrical problems? Call ShockFree Electrical today! Our certified electricians are available 24/7 to help you with all of your electrical needs. We offer a wide range of electrical services, including repairs, installations, and maintenance services in John’s, NL.

Contact us today at 709-687-5393 to schedule a free consultation.



ShockFree Electrical

4.9 ★★★★★★★★★★ 49 reviews